Monday, October 15, 2018

Episode two - the adventure begins

Freelance Nomad Chronicles Episode 2


Single woman of a certain age . . .

on liquidating a Sticks & Bricks life to go on the road NZ.

 “Haven’t had this much excitement
since Christmas 1972”

Just one key left on the keyring:
Leaving Whangamata early morning October 4th with a single a car key. No house key, no work key, no other keys. Just all my chattels and worldly goods crammed into the back of my dear old ute. A vintage 1990 Toyota Surf, ahhh we have such fond memories together.  It was low mileage, one careful Lady owner, full service history - honest !

Traded in for a whole bunch of keys and a my new way of life.
An apartment on wheels that is so ridiculously easy to drive, thanks VW
The TrailLite Oakura 300+ on the all New VW Chassis.


When you mature, you know, get old, or even older still, even, what is there to get personally and proper excited about? That tiny frisson of excitement at the local club or RSA raffle? The odd Lotto ticket? Opening a parcel all the way from Wales UK from my Mum, that even smells like her kitchen?

By jove, sure had my share this week! Better than Christmas 1972 when my brother got a new bike and got to have his hand me down Raleigh chopper!
Because it was finally the hand over & moving in day, what a buzz!


Just a few firsts:

My first for me:
Owning & driving a Motor Home. Traillite.co.nz
Had done the caravan thing way back in the mists of time with the lads, when they were small and angelic. A Bailey Beach Comber caravan an entry level match box flimsy, mechano  kit chassis . . . yeah, you got the drift.
Kerstin my lovely TrailLite mentor, showed me the ropes, but also thankfully a pile of manuals (you have heard the mantra “RTFM” - Read The Flipping Manual) however this time with the leisure time to read them.


A First for TrailLite:
New 300+ series on the VW:  I got two lovely young men from VW, showing me all the features the vehicle, telling me this is the first VW Crafter (new version) motorhome conversion in NZ. Loving the lane assist and huge infotainment screen, full of pulling power and comfy too.

First RedArc:
The lovely young man from RedArc telling me this is the first RedArc Redvision control system installation in a TrailLite. Amazingly its got this real cool app, which allows me to monitor my batteries, solar and tanks remotely, fancy that, and turn things on & off from a distance. Nice easy colour graphics to see whats happening on board.


First drive:
So car like!  Since I’m so used to my crusty old Ute, the new cab is like the command deck of the starship enterprise, no kidding, “beam me up Scotty”.

First for Navigation:
Just plugged in my phone and it talked to my VW, big screen with surround sound navigation - awesome. Like having a co pilot but they don’t argue or answer back but can’t open and close the gates or watch you back that is the job of the duel reversing cameras.

First night:
Pleasant surroundings very friendly staff and neighbours.
Pukekohe A & P Showgrounds - oh the trains, a great place for train spotters.

First NZMCA park:
Ardmore Airfield. Met Colin & Nancy, who very helpfully pointed out that my wee blue sticker was not in evidence.
OOpsy, but lots of top tips from them though, brilliant!

First Dump station:
Twas day 5, “she’s full laddie she canneee take anymore laddie” . . . . pulled into the Thames public dump station then made classic rookie mistakes (plural) despite watching those videos on You Tube . . . groan.
Do you really want to know about it? Yes, thought so . . .
like not getting the cassette tube thingy into the main drain hole thingy and forgetting to lift the grill, no gloves on either to do so . . . . worse still a bloke hanging around while I try wash away and hide my doings. The bloke was a good natured but impatient caravaner. He pulls up as I start my run, so to speak, who is not prepared to hang back and wait, walks up and puts his cassette down alongside so that totally put me right off it did, all of a tiswas, I was, no wonder it all turned to custard . . .  no need for pictures, mental imagery will suffice.

So now today marks 12 days into the adventure and an adventure it is, ready to write episode 3 - loving it!





2 comments:

  1. Seems like you enjoying the new lifestyle.
    Have fun, safe driving.
    Love from Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so following this blog! But wait - there doesn't appear to be any 'follow' button (??) Would love it if you added that feature :-)

    ReplyDelete